Ronald McDonald House Charities®
Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) corporation that creates, finds and supports programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children and their families.
Through a global network of over 260 Chapters in 62 countries and regions, RMHC® enables, facilitates and supports family-centered care through three core programs: the Ronald McDonald House®, the Ronald McDonald Family Room® and the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile®.
RMHC® programs help families with sick or injured children worldwide stay together and near leading hospitals and health care services, helping to ensure they have access to the medical care their child needs while being fully supported and actively involved in their care.
In 2020, RMHC® provided over 1.4 million overnight stays in Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room programs, saving families more than $443 million in meal and lodging costs alone.1
From the moment the Charity opened their first Ronald McDonald House®, McDonald’s owner/operators, suppliers, employees and customers have helped RMHC® provide stability and vital resources to families around the world.
Some countries or regions donate a percentage of the sale of specific products or run other special promotions in restaurants. We make it easy for our customers to support RMHC®, too. In total, McDonald’s, our Franchisees and customers donated over $145 million to RMHC® in 2020, helping provide more than 1.4 million overnight stays for RMHC® families around the world.1
This collective support helps enable RMHC® to continue offering the programs needed to keep families near to the medical care and resources they need:
- Ronald McDonald House® Programs – More than just a place to sleep, each House is just steps from the hospital and provides meals, comfort and support to families with sick kids.
- Ronald McDonald Family Room® Programs – Located within the hospital, this program offers families a place to recharge, rest and have a snack, all within a few paces from their child’s bedside.
- Ronald McDonald Care Mobile® Programs – Provide medical, dental and health care resources to children and families in underserved communities around the world.
Working Together for RMHC®
Corporate and Foundation Partners play a key role in the work of RMHC®, helping the organization to deliver comfort and care to families. Their gift of time, funds and in-kind services as well as community relations have helped RMHC® expand their impact throughout the world.
Volunteers make an incredible difference in the lives of the children and families served by RMHC® Chapters – by cooking, greeting, listening, cleaning or simply being there and supporting in any way they can. Volunteers are the heartbeat of RMHC®, helping to offset costs and allowing the Charity to direct more donations to services supporting children and their families.
Many of McDonald’s operators, employees and suppliers actively volunteer with RMHC® Chapters. Some even volunteer as board members, helping to shape the direction and approach in line with the critical needs of children and their families.
The COVID-19 pandemic and associated social distancing and safety measures in place at RMHC® programs meant that the number of volunteers decreased significantly in 2020. Despite this, more than 130,000 volunteers globally donated their time, talent and resources to support the work of RMHC®.
Additionally, earlier this year, McDonald’s volunteers had the opportunity to participate in a “Virtual Storytime” opportunity to support RMHC®. Volunteers recorded themselves reading McDonald’s Happy Meal Reader Books, and shared the videos with RMHC® families to watch when they had downtime. Stories were available in English and Spanish as well as one story in American Sign Language. Volunteers are also able to purchase essential items for RMHC® Chapters across the U.S. via their Amazon Wish Lists on an ongoing basis.
Helping Support the Sustainable Development Goals
Our support of charitable work helps contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, a global agenda to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all, in particular:
The generosity of time, as well as funds and in-kind services provided by the entire McDonald’s community, have helped RMHC® positively impact millions of children and their families since 1974. Today, the actions we take – with our customers and Franchisees around the world – have helped us continue to support families, despite unforeseen global challenges.
Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
During the pandemic, McDonald’s continued to support RMHC® Chapters around the world, helping families with sick children stay close together during very difficult times. In 2020, McDonald’s donated $20 million USD (as part of a five-year, $100 million USD gift) to RMHC® to help the Charity continue increasing access to quality health care for children around the world. The gift will help RMHC® deliver mission through direct financial support (including Chapter capital expansion grants); Chapter capacity building (including infrastructure, branding and people development); and activation of significant initiatives and resource development (including financial management trainings and Chapter consultation).
Additionally, the McDonald’s global community of suppliers and Franchisees also rallied together to help RMHC® in all-new ways. These are just a few of the many efforts made:
- McDonald’s suppliers continued to support RMHC® families by: delivering food when volunteers couldn’t prepare meals; donating hand sanitizer, masks and cleaning supplies, and continuing to donate generously when live events had to be cancelled.
- Italy – McDonald’s Italy and RMHC® Italy each donated €500,000. The €1 million funding went toward the construction of a temporary hospital to treat COVID-19 patients in Milan.
- Romania – When families with sick children were not using Ronald McDonald House during the pandemic, RMHC® Romania (with McDonald’s support) opened their House doors and kitchens to frontline workers, offering a place to rest and eat, any time they needed.
- The Philippines – RMHC® Philippines and McDonald’s Philippines launched “Kindness Kitchens” to feed frontline workers and the communities most impacted by the virus.
- Ukraine – McDonald’s donated money to RMHC® Ukraine to purchase personal protective equipment (PPE) for 21 hospitals serving Ukrainian children affected by the coronavirus.
- France – McDonald’s supplier Diversey used its expertise to help develop much-needed cleaning protocols for the Ronald McDonald House and Ronald McDonald Family Room programs in France. Global logistics provider Martin Brower donated 20,000 face masks to our facilities throughout France as well as many other parts of the world.
During the pandemic, McDonald’s Owner/Operators in the United States stepped up their support and partnered for RMHC® through a Round-Up for RMHC® Challenge. As McDonald’s restaurants closed inside table service to limit the spread of the coronavirus, we needed new and creative ways to encourage continued donations from McDonald’s customers. Local Round-Up for RMHC® challenges were a fun and effective way to demonstrate solidarity and commitment to the mission and to increase customer engagement.
Giving Back to RMHC® Chapters With Our Customers Around the World
There are many ways for our customers to support RMHC® Chapters around the world. The biggest ongoing fundraisers are RMHC® Donation Boxes at restaurant counters and Drive-Thru windows, making it easy to give spare change. In 2020, nearly $29 million was donated worldwide through the Donation Box program. Modernized giving channels – such as self-ordering kiosks and within the McDonald’s mobile app – are also available in some markets. In-restaurant events in many countries also inspire customers to participate and give back.
- In Canada, various in-restaurant programs are available for Canadians to support RMHC® Canada year-round. These include coinbox donations and cashless giving at points-of-purchase, or simply by buying a Happy Meal or RMHC® Cookie, with a portion of these proceeds going to RMHC® Chapters across Canada. In 2020, nearly $9 million was raised through direct and facilitated giving efforts.
- In France, over $4.1 million was raised in-restaurant through customer donations in 2020. McDonald’s also provided over $1.3 million in direct donations to RMHC® Chapters in France.
- Each year, all McDonald’s restaurants across Australia host McHappy Day, supporting RMHC® Australia. In 2020, nearly $10 million was raised for RMHC® Chapters across Australia through McHappy Day and other direct and facilitated giving efforts locally.
- In the U.S., we made it even easier for our customers to donate, with the launch of “Round-Up for RMHC®.” Introduced in approximately 14,000 U.S. restaurants in 2019, this innovative technology provides customers the opportunity to round up their purchase to the nearest dollar at the digital self-order kiosks, front counter and at the Drive-Thru. In 2020, Round-Up for RMHC® raised nearly $10 million in the U.S.