Ronald McDonald House Charities®
Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) corporation that creates, finds and supports programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children and their families. Through a global network of over 260 Chapters in 65 countries and regions, RMHC® enables, facilitates and supports family-centered care through three core programs: the Ronald McDonald House®, the Ronald McDonald Family Room® and the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile®.
RMHC® programs help families with sick or injured children worldwide stay together and near leading hospitals and health care services, helping to ensure they have access to the medical care their child needs while being fully supported and actively involved.
In 2019, RMHC® provided over 2.6 million overnight stays, saving families over $935 million in lodging and meal costs alone.
From the moment the charity opened their first Ronald McDonald House®, McDonald’s owner/operators, suppliers, employees and customers have helped RMHC® provide stability and vital resources to families around the world.
The generosity of time, as well as funds and in-kind services provided by the entire McDonald’s community, have helped RMHC® positively impact millions of children and their families since 1974.
Some countries or regions donate a percentage of the sale of specific products or run other special promotions in restaurants. We make it easy for our customers to support RMHC®, too. In total in 2019, McDonald’s, our Franchisees and customers donated over $126 million to RMHC®, helping provide approximately 1.6 million overnight stays for RMHC® families around the world.1
This collective support enables RMHC® to continue offering the programs needed to keep families near to the medical care and resources they need:
- Ronald McDonald House® Programs – More than just a place to sleep, each House is just steps from the hospital and provides meals, comfort and support to families with sick kids.
- McDonald Family Room Programs – Located within the hospital, this program offers families a place to recharge, rest and have a snack, all within a few paces from their child’s bedside.
- Ronald McDonald Care® Mobile Programs – Provide medical, dental and health care resources to children and families in underserved communities around the world.
Working Together for RMHC®
Corporate and Foundation Partners play a key role in the work of RMHC®, helping the organization to deliver comfort and care to families. Their gift of time, funds and in-kind services as well as community relations have helped RMHC® expand their impact throughout the world.
In 2019, nearly 490,000 volunteers across the world donated their time, talent and resources to support the work of RMHC®.
Volunteers make the difference in the lives of the children and families served by RMHC® Chapters – by cooking, greeting, listening, cleaning or simply being there and supporting in any way they can. Volunteers are the heartbeat of RMHC®, helping to offset costs and allowing the charity to direct more donations to services supporting children and their families.
Many of McDonald’s operators, employees and suppliers actively volunteer with RMHC® Chapters. Some even volunteer as board members, helping to shape the direction and approach in line with the critical needs of children and their families.
Supporting the Sustainable Development Goals
Our support of charitable work contributes to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, a global agenda to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all, in particular:
Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
During the pandemic, McDonald’s continued to support RMHC® Chapters around the world, helping families with sick children stay close together during very difficult times. McDonald’s global community of suppliers and Franchisees also rallied together to help RMHC® in all-new ways. These are just a few of the many efforts made:
- Italy – McDonald’s Italy and RMHC® Italy each donated €500,000. The €1 million funding went toward the construction of a temporary hospital to treat COVID-19 patients in Milan.
- Romania – When families with sick children were not using Ronald McDonald House® during the pandemic, RMHC® Romania (with McDonald’s support) opened their House doors and kitchens to frontline workers, offering a place to rest and eat, any time they needed.
- The Philippines – RMHC® Philippines and McDonald’s Philippines launched “Kindness Kitchens” to feed frontline workers and the communities most impacted by the virus.
- Ukraine – McDonald’s donated money to RMHC® Ukraine to purchase personal protective equipment (PPE) for 21 hospitals serving Ukrainian children affected by the coronavirus.
- France – McDonald’s supplier Diversey used its expertise to help develop much-needed cleaning protocols for the Ronald McDonald House® and Ronald McDonald Family Room® programs in France. Global logistics provider Martin Brower donated 20,000 face masks to our facilities throughout France as well as many other parts of the world.
Giving Back to RMHC® Chapters With Our Customers Around the World
There are many ways for our customers to support RMHC® Chapters around the world. The biggest ongoing fundraisers are RMHC® Donation Boxes at restaurant counters and Drive-Thru windows, making it easy to give spare change. In 2019, approximately $40 million was donated worldwide. Modernized giving channels – such as self-ordering kiosks and within the McDonald’s mobile app – are also available in some markets. In-restaurant events in many countries also inspire customers to participate and give back.
- In Canada, various in-restaurant programs are available for Canadians to support RMHC® Canada year-round. These include through coinbox donations and via cashless giving at points-of-purchase, or simply by buying a Happy Meal or RMHC® Cookie, with a portion of these proceeds going to RMHC® Chapters across Canada. Every year, Canadians come together to support RMHC® in their community by participating in McHappy Day, an iconic Canadian tradition founded in 1977. In 2019, $14.4 million was raised across Canada through direct and facilitated giving efforts.
- In France, over €1.5 million was raised in-restaurant through customer donations in 2019, and the restaurants mobilized to donate more than €4 million to RMHC® in France.
- $8.8 million was raised from RMHC® Chapters across Australia in 2019 through direct and facilitated giving efforts.
- In the U.S., we made it even easier for our customers to donate, with the launch of “Round-Up for RMHC®.” Introduced in approximately 14,000 U.S. restaurants in 2019, this innovative technology provides customers the opportunity to round up their purchase to the nearest dollar at the digital self-order kiosks, front counter and at the Drive-Thru. In 2019, Round-Up for RMHC® raised nearly $5 million USD in the U.S.