Jobs, Inclusion & Empowerment
We’re serving up bright futures in our communities, nurturing skills, accelerating equity and respecting human rights.
Our Priority Issues
Living our values means delivering on them every day, in ways that everyone can see. Led by these values, we are committed to fostering workplaces where everyone feels supported, has equitable access to opportunity and feels empowered to realize their full potential through differentiated development opportunities and benefits.
We are committed to actively fostering an inclusive environment, where diversity is embraced as an advantage This is a cultural climate that spans the entire McDonald’s System. It builds on the work we’ve done around the world, recognizes where we can continue to make strides and takes every opportunity to emphasize that inclusion is central to who we are.
We believe that businesses like McDonald’s have a responsibility to respect human rights within their sphere of influence. We know we and our Franchisees can be a force for good in communities and empower our suppliers to do the same.
We are committed to prioritizing safety in all our offices and Company-owned restaurants around the world, as well as supporting our Franchisees to do the same in the restaurants they own and operate. We are also continuing to foster respectful workplaces where people can be themselves without fear of harassment, discrimination, retaliation or violence.
Find out how we create community impact where we live and operate across the world. This includes our direct support for families through the Ronald McDonald House Charities®. We regularly engage with stakeholders across our value chain.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Closed the small pay gaps identified in our 2022 pay gap analysis. The 2022 analysis showed that women globally in Company-owned and operated markets were paid $0.9991 for every $1 in base pay on average of what men are paid for similar work and that on an aggregate basis there was not a pay gap disfavoring underrepresented groups in the U.S.
- Increased the representation of women in leadership roles globally (Senior Director and above) to 43% as of the end of 2022.
- As of the end of 2022, our U.S. systemwide spend with diverse-owned suppliers was 25.0%, resulting in McDonald’s reaching its 25% diverse-owned supplier spend goal for the second year in a row.
Talent & Benefits
- Introduced expectations for senior leaders to drive accountability for engaging in inclusive behaviors that support talent development and retaining our future leaders.
- Since 2015, increased access to education for more than 82,500 people and awarded college assistance to more than 65,000 restaurant employees through the Archways to Opportunity program by year-end 2022.
- Launched Workplace by Meta, a people-centric communication tool backed by McDonald’s, and deployed it in 20 countries with access to the platform available to over half a million employees.
Safe & Respectful Workplaces
Across all markets globally, we are continuing to implement our Global Brand Standards, which focus on four key areas:
- Protecting employee health and safety.
- Preventing workplace violence.
- Preventing harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
- Listening through restaurant employee feedback.
- An Update on McDonald’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Strategy
- A Look at How Our Global DEI Strategy Has Come to Life
Reporting Across Our Purpose & Impact
This section of our website – Our Purpose & Impact – acts as the primary platform for our foundational approach, strategies and policies over each of our priority environmental and social issues, alongside recent progress highlights. In addition to our overall approach to issues, our goals and performance work in tandem to drive transformation across our four Impact Areas – the topics we know matter most to our stakeholders – helping us stay accountable for realizing our purpose and driving meaningful impact.
Relevant Reports & Summaries
Additional issues across our four pillars include:
- Community Impact & Philanthropy
- Ronald McDonald House Charities®
- Stakeholder Engagement & Public Policy