McDonald's Reports On Advances In Sustainable Food Supply, Nutrition and Well-Being and Environmental Practices
January 26, 2010
OAK BROOK, IL – McDonald’s Corporation today issued a report outlining its latest global best practices in the areas of sustainable supply chain, nutrition and well-being, environmental responsibility, employment experience, community and corporate governance and ethics. This all-digital, interactive 2009 Corporate Responsibility Report can be accessed at www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/csr/report.html
- Sustainable Supply Chain – In 2008, 98% of the whitefish sourced for McDonald’s Filet-O-Fish sandwiches originated from fisheries with favorable sustainability rating
- Nutrition and Well-Being – All nine of McDonald’s largest markets* offer a fruit and/or vegetable option for Happy Meals, such as fruit bags, cherry tomatoes, corn cups and Apple Dippers
- Environmental Responsibility - In McDonald’s Europe, more than 80% of used cooking oil is converted into biodiesel fuel
- Employment Experience – More than 80% of company-owned restaurant employees in McDonald’s nine largest markets say they would recommend working at McDonald’s to a friend
- Community – Since 2002, McDonald’s and its customers have raised nearly $150 million to support the work of Ronald McDonald House Charities through our annual fundraiser, McHappy Day, to help children and their families in need around the world
“This report shares the core strengths of McDonald’s – continuous improvement, sharing best practices and focusing on the issues that matter most to us, our customers and the communities in which we do business,” said McDonald’s Chief Executive Officer Jim Skinner.
McDonald’s web-based corporate responsibility report, themed “The Values We Bring to the Table,” includes “behind the scenes” embedded videos, access to updated CSR news and a link to McDonald’s CSR blog, Open for Discussion. A new addition to this year’s report is McDonald’s Road to Sustainability video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSqIzZpfCqs. This video illustrates McDonald’s focus on responsible and sustainable practices and progress touching every area of our business. It is available, along with other CSR videos, on McDonald’s official YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/mcdonaldscorp.
“We consistently work to use our size and scope to make a positive difference in the world, while achieving business success,” said Bob Langert, McDonald’s Vice President of Corporate Social Responsibility. “Our values are not just words on a page or inspirational sentiments about who we strive to be. As the examples in this report show, they underlie our everyday decision-making.”
McDonald's is the leading global foodservice retailer with more than 32,000 local restaurants in more than 100 countries. About 80% of McDonald's restaurants worldwide are owned and operated by franchisees. Please visit our website atwww.aboutmcdonalds.com to learn more about the Company.
# # #
(*United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, China, Japan, Australia and Brazil)
Lisa McComb: 630-623-3707