Here’s How McDonald’s Supports Its LGBTQ+ Community
June 01, 2022
What does Pride month mean to you? For some, it's a celebration of queer voices and culture. For others, it's a time to commemorate activists who have fought for – and continue to protect – LGBTQ+ rights.
At McDonald’s, we’re proud to celebrate, support and uplift our LGBTQ+ communities throughout the year. After all, our values hinge on inclusion and integrity, meaning we open our doors to everyone and we do the right thing.
In addition to encouraging our McFamily to bring their full selves to work every single day, we strive to maintain inclusive workplaces for LGBTQ+ employees and their allies. It’s why we’re so proud to achieve the highest possible ranking on the Human Rights Campaign’s (HRC) Corporate Equality Index, which has earned us a spot on the list of “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality” for seven consecutive years.
We know that our work is never done, but few companies are better positioned to make a difference than McDonald's. In the meantime, here’s a closer look at how we're supporting our LGBTQ+ communities this month and throughout the year.
1. Culture of care: McDonald’s global policy against discrimination, harassment and retaliation applies to our employees worldwide – and it covers sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and the status of being transgender, among other factors.
2. Specialized health care support team: We’ve introduced a queer- and trans-led LGBTQ+ Concierge Health team from Included Health for guidance, advocacy and support that goes beyond health care available to U.S.-based employees and their covered dependents enrolled in a McDonald’s health plan.
3. Gender reassignment support: Eligible McDonald’s employees have medical plan options that offer coverage and support for gender reassignment surgery, and paid time away or short-term disability is available during recovery.
4. Inclusive parental leave: We know that everyone’s journey to parenthood is different, which is why we offer more equitable access to our maternity, adoption and parental leave policies for eligible U.S. employees.
5. Giving back: McDonald’s encourages volunteer days to support local LGBTQ+ nonprofits and matches gifts to certain LGBTQ+ charities.
6. Supplier diversity: McDonald’s USA and our U.S. Franchisees spent approximately $14 billion throughout our U.S. supply chain in 2020, an industry-leading amount with diverse-owned suppliers – including those owned and controlled by LGBTQ+ persons.
7. House of Pride: For the second year, McDonald’s is teaming up with Revry to kick off Pride season in style with the second annual House of Pride, a lively celebration of LGBTQ+ culture, music, comedy and dance that will air on Revry TV on June 5.
8. Chicago Pride Parade: We’re thrilled to hit the streets in McDonald’s hometown of Chicago by hosting a float in the city’s annual Pride Parade on Sunday, June 26. We hope to see you there!
Throughout June, visit McDonald’s Pride hub for more information on how we're celebrating the LGBTQ+ community.